The history of WA’s children’s hospital dates back to 1897, when a young girl gave threepence to a Perth businessman and said she would like to donate it to the children’s hospital. In 1909 his fundraising and lobbying efforts made the girl’s wish come true when Perth’s Children’s Hospital opened to the public, later to be named Princess Margaret Hospital for Children.
From its early days as a 20-bed community hospital, PMH has grown to be one of the leading paediatric care and research facilities in the country. The hospital has been at the forefront of many medical breakthroughs as well as providing a caring place for patients and their families.
In 2008, the State Government announced a new hospital would be built to replace PMH. Perth Children’s Hospital (PCH) will open to the public at the end of 2016. Princess Margaret Hospital will be decommissioned and the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority will take over the management of the site.
Visit the PMH timeline to find out more about the milestones and achievements of PMH over time.
Do you have a story about PMH to share? Send us your memories about PMH.
In recognition of PMH’s contribution to the health of generations of Western Australians, a number of events will be held for staff and the general public as we prepare to move to PCH.
These events and activities are proudly supported by PMH Foundation, the hospital’s main fundraising body since 1998.
Located in Nedlands, the $1.2 billion Perth Children’s Hospital (PCH) will be the new home for staff and services from PMH, providing specialist paediatric care for the children and adolescents of Western Australia.
The new hospital will be the sole dedicated children’s hospital for WA, delivering the highest level of care to children from all over the state.
For more information visit the Perth Children’s Hospital Project website.
Watch Channel 7 Perth's Today Tonight feature on the history and evolution of PMH (November 2014).
The feature includes interviews with retired PMH nurse Maurine Callard, former Head of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Unit Nerida Dilworth, Medical Director Clinical Governance Alan Duncan, Nurse Researcher Jeanette Robertson and recently retired Executive Director Nursing and Patient Support Services, Anne Bourke.